- University of Strathclyde appoints eight in entrepreneurship driveon January 16, 2021 at 4:52 am
The university said the fellows would play a key role in delivering its entrepreneurship strategy to 2025, unveiled in November, creating the ecosystem ...
- Stetson sophomore entrepreneurship student launches Herbie Rake kitchen utensilon January 16, 2021 at 3:22 am
Last spring, she pitched the item at the Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization Southeast Entrepreneurship Conference in Chattanooga, Tennessee ...
- This woman entrepreneur's startup aims to disrupt the product engineering sector with high-end ...on January 16, 2021 at 12:33 am
He instilled the entrepreneurial spirit in me that later led to Goavega,” she recalls. Sumana Iyengar. After completing her bachelor's in engineering in ...
- Philadelphia mourns beloved soul food entrepreneur, Ms. Tootsie's owneron January 16, 2021 at 12:25 am
PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — KeVen Parker, the beloved Philadelphia soul food entrepreneur and owner of Ms. Tootsie's on South Street, has ...
- FG endorses Irikefe's book as resource material on entrepreneurshipon January 15, 2021 at 11:26 pm
With the adoption of the Revised Second Edition of the entrepreneurship book, otherwise known as the “Nigerian Educational Research and ...
- IRPC Innovation Center / Architects 49on January 16, 2021 at 6:56 am
The Integrated Refinery Petrochemical Complex is a center for pioneering petrochemical innovation, making it the first fully integrated petrochemical ...
- Apple-backed HBCU Innovation Center To Call Atlanta University Center Homeon January 16, 2021 at 4:41 am
The Atlanta University Center (AUC) will soon house The Propel Center's innovation campus, which will focus on building tech talent within the ...
- County volunteers model innovation, resilience, and service in the midst of a pandemicon January 16, 2021 at 12:00 am
As County staff continue to innovate and find new ways to provide services to residents, volunteerism is a crucial component in what we do. A woman ...
- Fire at PIE Innovation Center in Cleveland, no injuries reportedon January 15, 2021 at 11:26 pm
Cleveland firefighters are responding to a fire at the PIE Innovation Center on Friday evening. The fire was reported shortly before 5:30 p.m. from the ...
- CBDCs: Innovation For Better Monetary Policieson January 15, 2021 at 10:55 pm
Central Banks have also failed to innovate and adopt new technologies and systems that may solve many issues. However, over the last few months, ...
- Feed has no items.
- Feed has no items.
- Cybersecurity in Financial Services Market is booming and is expected to grow at CAGR 9.5% by ...on January 16, 2021 at 11:03 am
Ransomware, cross-site scripting, and SQL injection attacks are some of the major cybersecurity risks for banks, insurance companies, and brokerage ...
- FireEye, Inc. (NASDAQ:FEYE) Given Consensus Rating of "Hold" by Analystson January 16, 2021 at 10:41 am
FireEye, Inc provides cybersecurity solutions to prepare for, prevent, investigate, respond to, and remediate cyber-attacks in organizations. The company ...
- Security and vulnerability management market Key Developments, Future Products, Marketing ...on January 16, 2021 at 10:30 am
This research report provides in depth analysis of industry overview, market drivers, business opportunities and Potential Applications. It gives you key ...
- Aviation Cyber Security Market Growth 2026 Trend & Forecast Report BAE Systems, Cisco, IBM ...on January 16, 2021 at 5:03 am
The vendor point of view is also analyzed in depth to reveal current and future market challenges and business tactics adopted by leading companies to ...
- Iconic BugTraq security mailing list shuts down after 27 yearson January 16, 2021 at 2:48 am
BugTraq, one of the cybersecurity industry's first mailing lists dedicated to publicly ... Cyber security 101: Protect your privacy from hackers, spies, and the ... Back then companies sued when someone announced a bug. https://t.co/ ...
Dark Reading: Insider Threats Dark Reading: Connecting the Information and Security Community
- Over-Sharer or Troublemaker? How to Identify Insider-Risk Personasby Mark Wojtasiak VP, Portfolio Marketing, Code42 on January 12, 2021 at 3:00 pm
It's past time to begin charting insider risk indicators that identify risky behavior and stop it in its tracks.
- Reducing the Risk of Third-Party SaaS Apps to Your Organizationby Dmitry Dontov Chief Technology Officer, Spin Technology on December 29, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Such apps may try to leak your data, or can contain malicious code. And even legitimate apps may be poorly written, creating security risks.
- Defending the COVID-19 Vaccine Supply Chainby Nick Rossmann Global Threat Intelligence Lead, IBM Security X-Force on December 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm
We must treat this supply chain like a piece of our nation's critical infrastructure, just like the electrical grid or air traffic control system.
- Researchers Scan for Supply-Side Threats in Open Sourceby Robert Lemos Contributing Writer on November 17, 2020 at 7:05 pm
A recent project to scan the main Python repository's 268,000 packages found only a few potentially malicious programs, but work earlier this year uncovered hundreds of instances of malware.
- Dealing With Insider Threats in the Age of COVIDby Hitesh Sheth CEO, Vectra on October 21, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Dangerous gray areas like new BYOD policies and shadow IT devices have increased, thanks to the rapid shift to remote working.
- Jonathan Manthorpe: Washington siege warns of need for preemptive reform in Canadaon January 16, 2021 at 2:03 am
Jonathan Manthorpe: Washington siege warns of need for preemptive reform ... threats to democracy come from internal failings rather than the mischief of ... at dangerous variance to that of work-a-day Canadians all contribute to the ...
- There will be more US troops in DC for Biden's inauguration than in Iraq and Afghanistan ...on January 15, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. ... as the greatest threat to the homeland, but the country is seemingly shifting in a new direction.
- IT Security Trends in the Era of COVID: Our Top Five Tips for Making Your Network Safer in 2021on January 15, 2021 at 7:30 pm
Here are five potential IT defense measures that your business can implement to protect your ... Recognize and minimize the insider threat. “Insider” ...
- Creating a Zero Trust Foundationon January 15, 2021 at 6:56 pm
To help counter this internal threat, organizations have invested heavily in internal monitoring and other advanced security controls that inspect traffic ...
- Thwart a digital disasteron January 15, 2021 at 6:11 pm
If your company is one of the unlucky ones where an insider deliberately caused a security breach, then you are automatically in the highest risk ...
Every business has to deal with threats to their business, but an insider threat is something many take for granted. Sometimes the threat is really from inside…
The definition of an Insider Threat is
An insider threat is a malicious threat to an organization that comes from people within the organization, such as employees, former employees, contractors or business associates, who have inside information concerning the organization’s security practices, data and computer systems.
Oblivious Insider. This insider threat takes after its namesake, and it’s a top cause for data breaches in today’s world. These insiders have important access to company files, and they’ve been compromised from the outside without knowing. This most likely came to be when they clicked on a malicious phishing email that granted the criminal access.
Negligent Insider. These employees are most vulnerable to phishing emails. Due to lack of security education, or simply their interest in bypassing workplace protocol to meet efficiency, these individuals are a top threat to data loss.
Malicious Insider. This is where the insider crosses the line, and data loss becomes intentional. They seek to delete important company information, and inflict financial harm in some way. Luckily, there are several behavioral trends that fellow employees and managers can watch out for to ping these insiders.
In an article from May 2016, the Wall Street Journal referenced a Deloitte “Dbriefs” report in which they present some alarming numbers on corporate malicious activity by trusted insiders:
• 92 percent of insider threat cases were preceded by a negative work event, such as a termination, demotion or dispute with a supervisor.
• 97 percent of insider threat cases studied by Stanford University involved an employee whose behavior a supervisor had flagged, but that the organization had failed to follow up on.
• 25 percent of employees have used email to exfiltrate sensitive data from an organization.
How pervasive is the insider threat in your company?
“The Dtex 2018 Threat Report serves to bring to the forefront those areas where companies, and that is every company, big or small, can invest their resources to bring down the threat posed by their trusted insiders.”
Clearly, visibility on the need to focus on basic cybersecurity 101 is required. Richard Stiennon, IT-Harvest Chief Research Analyst and Charles Stuart University Lecturer, tells us, “Business needs to get out of the cybersecurity denial phase it is stuck in. To do this, it must accept that it needs more visibility into what’s going on in its environment.”
DTex Systems “THE 2018 INSIDER THREAT INTELLIGENCE REPORT”
- Focus on deterrence, not detection. In other words, create a culture that deters any aberrant behavior so that those who continue to practice that behavior stand out from the “noise” of normal business and the limited investigative resources that you have can be focused on them.
- Know your people, know who your weak links are and who would be most likely to be a threat.
- Use your HR data to narrow down threats rather than looking for a needle in stack of needles.
- Identify information that is most likely to be valuable to someone else and protect it to a greater degree than the rest of your information.
- Monitor ingress and egress points for information (USB ports, printers, network boundaries).
Baseline normal activity and look for anomalies.